gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Pantomime with CoreBase

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Pantomime with CoreBase
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 18:57:41 +0200

 Hi,

On Wednesday, August 22, 2012 17:55 CEST, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 2012-08-21 11:35:30 +0000 "Sebastian Reitenbach"
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I was investigating a lot of the #if(n)def MACOSX in Pantomime and
> > found that
> > many (most) deal with CoreFoundation on the Mac.
> > Since GNUstep now has CoreBase, I thought about hey, it would be a
> > good idea
> > to reduce differences between Mac and GNUstep, in order to figure
> > out, why
> > GNUMail behaves differently on those systems.
>
> I am actually not so fond of all this Core* stuff and would rather not
> add a dependency on CoreBase. However since on Mac it uses at least a
> part of CoreFoundation, it might be again to reduce complexity. I
> consider CoreBase though "experimental", it doesn't even work as you
> see. I also want to check how portable CoreBase it with older
> compilers, operating systems, etc.

at least it compiles with gcc 4.2.1 for me on OpenBSD. I don't have anything
around anymore where gnustep stuff will work which has gcc 2.95, so I
cannot really test it. When Pantomime uses the same Frameworks on Mac
and in GNUstep, that would at least make the code more easily understandable.
and when it works on Mac, and not with GNUstep, then we at least know,
its not Pantomimes or GNUMails fault, but the fault of the Framework in use.

> It might be interesting on the long run to have a more maintainable
> code base, as are the GUI differences due to code gui generation vs.
> NIB files.
>
> So I'd think that the next GNUMail+Pantomime release should not switch
> to CoreBase. We also have LuserNET depending on Pantomime. It should
> be a "fix" and maintenance release. Once that is done we can look
> forward and checking #ifdef's and reduce them and continue testing
> functionality. Collaborating with Stefan would be good.

yes, that's not for the next release.
I'll work with him on making Pantomime "compatible" to CoreBase, or vice versa,
however you see it. ;)

Maybe we should create a CoreBase branch of Pantomime in the SVN, to keep
track of things. What do you think about that?