gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] potential contrib

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] potential contrib
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2016 09:36:50 +0200

Hi Ray,

Ray Haleblian wrote:
Great. I'm using GNUstep on Raspberry Pi, which works well and is fast and small. I was after a more NEXTSTEP-like feel in Terminal and saw that a black-on-white mode had been added. Visibility of coloured text was not so good IMO.

Nice to know you find it of your use! I too am testing and running Terminal on the PI! GNUstep is of interest on these smalld evices, nice I am not the only one,.

I have planned a release of Terminal soon: I want to get out its translation improvemetns as well as Tabs stuff. However the Tab stuff is not 100% stable on all system, so I am slightly undecided on what to do.
Terminal code is not so "easy" to change!

I made a change which describes the dark and light colours as palettes, which allowed factoring out math ops that were recomputing the same constants unnecessarily. Also fixed border pad so it is light in the light mode.

This sounds interesting, especially the border pad could be ported before the release and defer some other major changes for the next release?

I also added a monochrome mode, since with palettes it's low cost. I'm doing something wrong in prefs such that the option is not immediate in the session, only on restart. Likely some noob error.

I see now that the global colour definitions in TerminalView.h are a problem since a user pref change affects all terminals instead of just the future ones.

If i understand this code well enough, this stuff isn't a huge performance hit, in fact i hope it's faster.

Provided i fix that, if useful i could send a patch or however you guys do things. Is the source in a public repo? I believe i'm working from a tarball...

As you have found we have a "mirror" on github, which should be up-to-date to generate patches:
https://github.com/gnustep/gap/tree/master/system-apps/Terminal

The original repo is subversion and is found here:
http://svn.savannah.nongnu.org/viewvc/trunk/system-apps/Terminal/?root=gap

Riccardo