gchempaint-main

Re: [Gchempaint-main] file import/export

From: Jean Bréfort
Subject: Re: [Gchempaint-main] file import/export
Date: Sat, 30 Dec 2006 17:13:32 +0100

Le vendredi 29 décembre 2006 à 09:42 -0800, Francesco Pietra a écrit :
> Using debian i386 etch kernel 2.6.18-3, no nvidia
> drivers, though OpenGL active/GNOME 2.14.3 (amd64 etch
> only for computations, without X), I was checking
> whether I can abandon wine for running chemical
> drawing packages, shifting to a linux native one. My
> need is merely of presentation to editors and file
> exchange with coworkers. No interest in simulation of
> spectra or things like that that simply do not work.
>
> I do that check every a few months; this time I was so
> much favorably impressed by features of gchempaint
> 0.6.6. However, I was unable to find any way of
> exchanging/submitting files with people who use
> chemdraw on Windows. Also, I was unable to transfer
> graphics from gchempaint to OpenOffice and other
> common applications.

With 0.6.6, you can just export an image and insert it in OpenOffice,
but it will be a low resolution bitmap (unless if recent OpenOffice
support svg). 0.6.8 would not be better. Next major version (0.8.0) will
support images at any user choosen resolution and embedding in abiword
(not yet released 2.6). Embedding native GChemPaint files in OpenOffice
should be possible if somebody writes the appropriate code...

About Chemdraw, its files should be opened. If not, open a bug report
ant attach some sample files to it (I have no chemdraw file available on
my pc). That's also true for other format as well. GChempaint should be
able to support any file format supported by OpenBabel.

> I did not try the latest release, 0-6.8, just because
> it is not available as a deb package. Are
> file-exchange problems approached there? Perhaps I
> have also missed established tricks to exchange files.
>
> Thanks for answering
> francesco pietra

Thanks for your interest.
Best Regards