gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] Python plugins

From: Micha
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] Python plugins
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2006 05:38:39 +0100

> There two environment variables (PYTHONHOME and
> PYTHONPATH) that controls location of loaded python modules (plugins),
> feel free to experiment ;o)

ok.

> That's strange - [PP] values are printed from inside of gcmd...

Started with -d=p so output as expected. Please look into the
'device root' thing instead it's something left to choice
(configuration option 'windows like nuisance').

> I've sent it as an attachment, but list server got rid of it

It would be ok if you can manage to get it inline correctly,
but this time something was adding whitespaces (your emacs?)
on the left side, which is a bad idea with python.

> My candidates are:
>
>         ~/.gnome-commander/plugins
>         /usr/lib64/gnome-commander/plugins

oh, you're focussing straightway on the next generation ;)

yes, it's ok

> just in that order of path searching, where plugins will be placed in
> their own subdirs. Those subdir names will be added to user/context menu
> as plugins' names. What about it?

One thing important about plugins and any menu in general is, they
should be as quickly available as possible. An additional hierarchy level
would be a bad idea, for example menu -> usr-lib64-plugins -> sample.plug
is tedious. If you think however more of something like menu ->
usr-lib64-sample.plug
that would work but it's still ugly. Look, users can rename their custom
installed plugs
freely, and in the long run it should be possible even to check the 'default'
ones
(show / not show) so the problem would become obsolete.

> This is compiled plugin to binary, platform independent code. Python
> interpreter loads it when found instead of reinterpreting sample-plugin.py.

So systemwide plugs need to be compiled at installation time (by root), a task
for 'make' or for package maintainers installer script. But probably a pyc can
be
shipped precompiled too, included in the binary package or tarball ?