gcmd-devel

Re: [gcmd-dev] file root thing

From: Piotr Eljasiak
Subject: Re: [gcmd-dev] file root thing
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 00:18:14 +0200

> Copying with F5 is a convenient way to avoid leaving the actual panel
> settings.

You mean SHIFT+F5, don't you?

> However typing in the path doesn't work when you work on 2 different 'drives'
> and want to copy yet somewhere else. What happens is, if you try to copy
> something into for example (absolute Unix path) /exchange/upload, then
> instead gcmd tries to copy into the opposite panels drive, asking to create
> the dir 'exchange' and then creating file or directory 'upload' there. The
> old icky 'windows-like drive root' thing.
>
> What i would expect it to work is that all selected files will be copied into
> the folder /exchange/upload, absolute unix path. Easy copying into the
> opposite pane dir instead would be provided by the preset path, as is, but
> this should be the 'real' full absolute unix-path then (that is, relative to
> the unix file root '/'). Like in midnight commander eg.
>
> At least in my view, a Linux user would not expect this window-like behaviour
> in the first place, and will be left asking 'how then instead is it working -
> do i really have to always browse through the FS' ? It's wasting a workflow
> feature ('Why do i have this input field at all for then ?')
>
> In windows the problem does not exists - we have drive letters which
> clear where something should go.
> To be exact, in gcmd a violation of fundamental path naming law
> occurs: They are not unique anymore.

This is not a windows-like feature, but a bug coming from a design. gcmd
is very connection-centric and treat each connection separately. This
works quite well if you cope with remote (ftp or smb) connections only,
but introduces some problems for mounted devices (which are in fact
treated as connections)...

I'll have a closer look at it in the morning and try to fix it yet
before 1.2.6.

Piotr