gdb-discuss

[Gdbheads] GDB steering committee mailing list

From: Andrew Cagney
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:36:24 -0500

Welcome to the GDB steering committee's public mailing list.

I'd like to continue the discussion Elena Zannoni started last
December, that was interrupted by the holidays.

Elena Zannoni posted the attached complaint. It flushed out a discussion that had been started months earlier by Eric Bachalo, along with Jim Blandy, Kevin Buitner, Michael Snyder and Corinna Cinschen.

 We're still waiting
for the following people, who are either committee members, or
participants in the original discussion, to subscribe:

Andrew Cagney <address@hidden>
Robert Dewar <address@hidden>
Elena Zannoni <address@hidden>
J.T. Conklin <address@hidden>
Todd Whitesel <address@hidden>

They should have received the initial invitation I sent via GNU's
Mailman software on Friday, the repeat invitation I sent on Tuesday,
and the personal message I sent today.

Jim Blandy, I'm watching this list. And have been since you sent out that post.

Andrew

--- Begin Message --- Subject: Dialog among Gdb maintainers Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2003 19:21:23 -0500
To all the Gdb global maintainers:

Jim Blandy                      address@hidden
Kevin Buettner                  address@hidden
Andrew Cagney                   address@hidden
J.T. Conklin                    address@hidden
Fred Fish                       address@hidden
Daniel Jacobowitz               address@hidden
Mark Kettenis                   address@hidden
Peter Schauer                   address@hidden
Stan Shebs                      address@hidden
Michael Snyder                  address@hidden
Elena Zannoni                   address@hidden
Eli Zaretskii                   address@hidden

It has become very obvious in the e-mail exchanges on the gdb-patches
mailing list, that there is a schism happening within the Gdb
community.  Resentment has been brewing apparently for a long time and
it is hard to ignore any longer.  I know for a fact that a group of
Red Hat employees, some of which have no affiliation with Gdb or the
FSF, has started some activity to modify the ways in which the Gdb
community operates and interacts. Such people have also later expanded
the discussions to include selected Gdb maintainers and
contributors. The individuals that have been chosen to participate in
such activities do not include all of the global maintainers. The head
maintainer, Andrew Cagney, and I, have been excluded from such
negotiations. I have no knowledge whether other global maintainers
have been excluded as well, hence this mail to keep everybody
informed, and try to keep alive a sense of community that I fear is
lost, but maybe can be rekindled.

As of today, a week and a half after I came to know the facts above, I
still have no knowledge of what kind of problems said group is trying
to solve.  I have, at that time, pleaded that the issues be brought
into the open, and that we have a discussion involving all the global
maintainers. I have received no responses to the invitation.  I am
therefore bringing this forth again, this time in a slightly different
forum. See my e-mail to follow.

I also want to take the opportunity to make clear that I have no
affiliation whatsoever with the Red Hat employees that fomented the
discord. Together with Andrew Cagney and Jeff Johnston, I belong to a
separate organization, with a completely disjoint reporting structure.

elena

--- End Message ---