gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: 28 Jan 2004 08:46:30 +0200

> From: David Carlton <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:11:29 -0800
>
> On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:49:57 -0500, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> said:
>
> > If people are proposing that we should change the way this part of
> > the GNU system is maintained, the first question is, is there really
> > a problem?  What useful features or improvements does the GNU system
> > lack, which it could have had if GDB maintenance were done
> > differently?  How important are these features?
>
> That's a very hard question to answer.  I feel strongly that the
> current system is turning away potentially productive effort and
> volunteers.  So I might be tempted to claim that "if we change the
> rules, we could get an additional 50% more work on GDB".  But there's
> no way to predict exactly what specific features that additional 50%
> of work would lead to - it depends on what people want to work on.

I think that if the proposed changes make a significant proportion of
GDB maintainers and potential contributors happier, it's a reason
that's good enough to give them a serious consideration.  The changes
themselves are quite minor, IMHO, so if they have a potential to
create a better environment for contributing code, we should try to
make those changes.