gdb-discuss

Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules

From: Joel Brobecker
Subject: Re: [Gdbheads] proposed change to GDB maintainership rules
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 09:18:48 +0400

> No matter how we place more maintenance resources, they have to come
> from the existing pool.  I believe that the view of global maintenance
> that we proposed at the beginning of this discussion is the most
> efficient way to make use of that pool, and is the most effective way
> to improve the GDB development process.

I agree.

That is not to say that global maintainers should jump in immediately
at every patch and bypass the local maintainer. On the contrary. I view
this new priviledge as a backup mechanism that would allow a patch to be
reviewed should the local maintainer not have the time to review it
within a reasonable amount of time.

(I have patches that have been waiting for review for months despite a
positive review from a global maintainer. We can't blame the local
maintainers, we're all volunteers with only so much time available
for GDB, so let's use all the resources we have).

--
Joel