gdb

[Gdb] Remote debugging with gdbserver

From: oliver.schlenker
Subject: [Gdb] Remote debugging with gdbserver
Date: 09 Nov 2002 13:43:21 UT

Hello,

I'm currently using gdb together with gdbserver to debug linux processes
written in C on a remote system. Doing this, I run in the following two
problems :

1.
From time to time gdbserver is reporting
gdb:Wrong sized register packet (expected 624 bytes, got 352)

2.
When remote debugging, I'm not able to view the contents of any uninitalized global variable correct. The contents of uninitalized global variables are
shown (with gdb-command print) as zero. Even the whole memory range where the
uninitalized global variables are stored is shown as if it's filled with zero-
bytes only. The global variables in the running process are definitly not
zero, as a printf in the process itself is easily confirming.
Initialized global variables however (like char *Errortext = "Error No. %d\n")
are shown with correct values in gdb.

Any ideas regarding this behaviour are very welcome.

Oliver