gdb

[Gdb] gcc and gdb help?

From: Ron Lancaster
Subject: [Gdb] gcc and gdb help?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 12:49:34 -0400

My university has SPARC/Solaris 8 using gcc 2.95.3 and gdb 4.18.  The debugger
works fine in this configuration, but the language recognized by the compiler
has numerous problems.

We've tried to upgrade to gcc 3+ and that fixes the language problems that have
been causing us problems.  But, when we upgrade, various gdb problems develop.
For example, gcc-3.2.3 and gdb-5.0 are OK except for one big problem:  the
debugger shows all function names in mangled form (e.g.
_ZN7Scanner9nextTokenEv) instead of the format that the user knows (e.g.
Scanner::nextToken).

Can anyone suggest a combination of gcc 3+ and a version of gdb that works well
together on SPARC/Solaris 8?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please respond directly to me.  I'm not a subscriber to this list.
Ron Lancaster
Department of Computer Science
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, Ohio 43403-0214