gdb

gdb 6.5 on Solaris x86 can't debug programs from g++ 4.2.0

From: Allan K Pratt
Subject: gdb 6.5 on Solaris x86 can't debug programs from g++ 4.2.0
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:11:23 -0700

I have gdb 6.5 on Solaris-for-x86, and I find that I can't run programs
compiled with g++4.2.0. When I run these programs under GDB, the debugee
dumps core.

Furthermore, when I try to use gdb to read the core file generated by the
first crash, gdb dumps core.

In addition, the "dbx" command supplied by Sun in SunStudio 12 for
Solaris-on-x86 also crashes when debugging a program compiled by g++
4.2.0.

When I dump the uninstrumented
/usr/p/tools/sunos5_x86/install/gcc/4.2.0/lib/amd64/libstc++.so.6 using
dwarfdump -l I get this error message:
    dwarfdump ERROR: dwarf_linesrc: DW_DLE_LINE_FILE_NUM_BAD (61)

I downloaded and built gdb 6.6 and it does not crash when running a C++
program built with g++ 4.2.0.

It doesn't seem reasonable that I have to get the absolute newest release
in order to debug successfully. Also, it is unfriendly of g++ to be
incompatible with the vendor's debugger on a current, supported platform.

Is this interesting? Where do I report a bug/crash like this so it gets
the right people's attention? Thanks.

-- Allan Pratt, address@hidden
Rational software division of IBM