geiser-users

Re: [Geiser-users] Entering Racket submodules

From: Jose A. Ortega Ruiz
Subject: Re: [Geiser-users] Entering Racket submodules
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2013 23:14:28 +0200

On Sun, Jun 09 2013, Diogo F. S. Ramos wrote:

> "Jose A. Ortega Ruiz" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The other bit that's related is what to do when loading the top module
>> with C-c C-k... to me it is very unintuitive that some submodules don't
>> get loaded, specially on an interactive hacking session.  I'm sure we
>> want a way of telling geiser "please, load all this module's submodules"
>> in a single keystroke...
>>
>> I was thinking of the following solution: C-c C-k (or C-c C-a for that
>> matter) at the top level means "load all submodules too, including the
>> top level", while C-c C-k while the cursor is on a submodule means "load
>> only this submodule (and its dependencies, as usual)".
>>
>> Would you find that too confusing?
>
> I think that might be problematic.
>
> For example: I use (module+ test ...) all the time.  That means that I
> will have a submodule called `test' inside my file.  The utility `raco'
> understands this semantics, so I can run from a shell `raco test
> foo.rkt' and run some tests.
>
> The nice thing about the way things are now is that I can enter a file
> freely, any time, because this test module will not be loaded.
>
> This is only talking about a test submodule.  As the Racket
> documentation says that requiring a file module doesn't automatically
> require the submodules inside it, I don't know what people might have
> done to their files assuming this is the expected behavior.

Yes, i think you are right.  Then perhaps the best thing is to leave
submodules alone and only load them on demand, just as the documentation
says.  On top of that it shouldn't be difficult to implement an elisp
function that looks for all submodules in the file and offers to load
them all...

jao
--
Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac Man affected us
as kids, we would all be running around in darkened rooms, munching