getfem-users

Re: [Getfem-users] Problem importing gmsh mesh into getfem++

From: julien pommier
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Problem importing gmsh mesh into getfem++
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:59:16 +0200

Hi Ron,

Ron Daisy wrote:
I finally found what the reason for the problem was. I didn't create a physical volume for the entire volume, thus gmsh didn't export all the 3D elements inside the volume (only the 2D elements on the surface for which I created physical surface). After changing this the getfem::import_mesh function showed 3D elements, as expected, and the integration compatibility problem disappeared.

Unfortunately, a new problem raised. I got floating point exception during the stiffness matrix assembling. Here is the program execution output:

$./prog param
MESH_TYPE=GT_PK(3,1)
FEM_TYPE=FEM_PK(3,1)
INTEGRATION=IM_TETRAHEDRON(6)
Number of dof : 8927
Assembling stiffness matrix
Floating exception

In this execution the mesh was imported from gmsh. It has to be noted that almost the same code (internal mesh generation and and an appropriate boundary condition assignment - for the same geometry) run without any problem and seems to produce meaningful results.

The only major difference I see is that in gmsh, the number of dof's is 8927 while in the internally generated mesh I've got 68921 dofs. Is this might be the cause for rising the floating point exception?

I looked at the gmsh generated mesh and it seems to be quite coarse inside the volume (on the surface I managed to control its size, but couldn't do the same inside the volume).

Any way, I think that such kind of behavior (rising exception for logically correct input) should be corrected.
Yes, I agree, but I do not know where this floating exception occurs. Could you run
gdb --args ./prog_param
and then run it ('r') and print the backtrace when the exception occurs (output of the 'where' command) ? The best option if you're patient enough would be to rebuild getfem++ with 'make clean; make CXXFLAGS="-g -Wall -W" ' in order to have full debugging info.

--
Julien