getfem-users

Re: [Getfem-users] Mooney-Rivlin and negative material constants

From: Igor Peterlik
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] Mooney-Rivlin and negative material constants
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 09:47:30 +0200

Dear Yves,

sorry for the delay, but I was waiting for another experimental verification
of the parameters done by my colleagues...

First, the definition of two-constant Mooney-Rivlin material given by you bellow is exactly what I need. Before I start using getfem, I briefly studied the code (getfem_nonlinear_elasticity.h and cc), so I was sure this is the correct implementation.

Now, something about the constants. New laboratory experiments and parameter fitting has shown, that the constants are really negative (more precisely C10=-2752, C01=720). Moreover, my colleagues modelled the simulation
using these constants in ANSYS getting the same result as in experimental
setting. Therefore, the constants are acceptable (I also found some other
literature considering negative constants when modelling silicon and soft-tissues materials).

So the problem is that the classical Newton method is not suitable as
the tangent stiffness matrix A(u) is indefinite (in fact the more than half
of eigenvalues is negative for A(0)). I tried some preconditioning, namely
adding a multiple of identity matrix to make the tangent stiffness positive-
definite as well as Murphy-Golub-Wathen preconditioning, however it did not show any improvement and the Newton still diverged (
for very small step, it converges but the "minimum" is apparently
wrong).

The other two possibilities I considered (without trying) are Truncated Newton
method,
when the direction of Newton is given also by the negative curvature
detected in conjug. gradients when solving the linear system in each step
and the other one -- doing some prediction first (for example by incremental

Therefore, I would like to ask for an advice -- what kind of method should
help in this case? Do you think some of those considered above are suitable?
Aren't there also some other users coping with indefinite Hessians?

        Thank you very much in advance

                        Best regards

                                Igor Peterlik