getfem-users

Re: [Getfem-users] bug in von mises stress calculation?

From: Renard Yves
Subject: Re: [Getfem-users] bug in von mises stress calculation?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 21:34:40 +0200

Dear Andriy,

A priori, I found the reverse in the svn tree. the factor sqrt(3.0/2) has been added by Jean-Yves Heddebaut in r2953 (version 3.1) and is still present. Is this factor correct ? If I follow the definition of the Von Mises stress in http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critère_de_plasticité
and after basic computation I found a factor of 3.0/sqrt(2.0). Am I wrong ?

Yves.

Andriy Andreykiv - 3ME <address@hidden> a écrit :

Dear Yves and Getfem users,

Want to report a bug. I was using von mises calculation in getfem::mdbrick_nonlinear_elasticity<>. It was giving a wrong value even though all the other results of the calculation were consistent with the benchmark. So I checked the code and found that in 3.0.1 version of getfem (the version which documentation is on the website)
the final expression for the value is

VM[i] = sqrt(3.0/2)*gmm::mat_euclidean_norm(sigma); (which is correct, I believe)

while in 3.1 version the multiplier sqrt(3.0/2) is absent.

Best regards,
                 Andriy