Re: [glob2-devel] Glob2 salvage proposal

From: Stephane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Glob2 salvage proposal
Date: Sun, 23 Oct 2005 12:15:39 +0200

Hi,

Glob2 indeed works as the wikipedia article suggests andYOG metaserver is the
relay.

On the documentation side, I of course agree with you. The problem is that I
don't know enough of the network part to document it. Here is the already
existing documentation:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/glob2/glob2/doc/
Specifically, about the network, there is:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs/glob2/glob2/doc/YogUnderstanding.txt?rev=1.1&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

Feel free to request any document you feel is missing. As I can't document
everything at once, I think the easiest thing is that you ask what you need
or think it will be most usefull. Do you have any format your prefer ? Would
you like doxygen documentation or do you prefer text files in doc/ or would
you like things on the wiki. I don't feel very comforable with the wiki right
now as it is much more difficult to add a user there than on savannah... does
anyone knows if there is a mod or something for pmwiki that makes it more
conveniant? If not, should we change our wiki engine?

As you have probably all noticed, my salvage proposal put a big emphasis on
changing the network model. This is because it is the only part I really
don't know enough to fix/extend/modify. Furthermore, it is very complex
because of this NAT/firewall problem. Third, our current network model is
really difficult to manage: the synchronization requirement is indeed very
demanding (for instance, it prevents the use of float or double, because
their behaviours is not the same on different computers).

This said, I've the feeling you do not want too big changes, which is very
reasonable. Nevertheless, do you have any suggestion on what to do with this
network problem ?

Andrew, what is the state of maprewrite_branch ? If it is mostly usable, I'm
ready to merge it to HEAD and continue the development and the required
rewrites in HEAD. I agree that we need to clean things and that's ok for me
to break map format, if we do a very clean and easily extendable format this
time :-)

Thanks,

http://nct.ysagoon.com