Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language (again)

From: Bo Lorentsen
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language (again)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 16:14:08 +0100

Stéphane Magnenat wrote:

We have been thinking about this for a long time indeed. Don't forget that the determinism is not the only constraint, but another one is the ability to checkpoint the VM in order to save and reload a game. Another one is the ability to seamlessly run several threads (stories in SGSL) with co-routine operations (wait in SGSL) and preemption on buggy thread (stories are preempted after a thousand of continuous instructions in SGSL).
I find both Lua and Squirrel (that seems to be Lua based) wery neat, and both have co-rutines, but I don't know anything about persisting data and checkpoints (cross platform).

Marv and I have looked into several languages, the bests candidates are indeed Squirrel (http://squirrel.sourceforge.net/), but the multi-threading and checkpoint stuff is not trivial, and tea (http://lue.dk/prj/tea), whose author was willing to help, but who seems to have disappeared lately.
Nope, he is right here, but working hard on TEA and some other projects (have to make a living) :-) I have just updated the link you gave to my trac/svn repos, in case anyone like to know what is happening with TEA, at the moment :-)

Lisp syntax are a big joke, lua is squirrel--, python is probably, for our use, slightly bloated, but this can be discussed.
Python is a nice language, but for threads and corutines, I am not sure its the propper choice at the moment.

I think that there is two main constraints for language choice:
* the capabilities of the language
And this is not trivial nor common :-)

* the language from the user perspective

I don't see how you want to fix missing capabilities afterwards, hacking on a big language is not trivial. For hacking, tea is probably the best candidate.
Yeps, that why I made it :-)

TEA need some work regarding persisting of both runtime state and data, but the framework is there :-)

/BL