Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language (again)

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Embedded scripting language (again)
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:10:03 -0800

Indeed, choosing a language is difficult. I personally like python,
although squirrel also looks good, and martin seems to prefer ruby. I
really like python for its "batteries included" approach to its
standard library, almost everything you would need for programming in
python can be found in its standard libary, which reduces dependancies
greatly. I like it for its clean syntax, i find rubies syntax ...
ambiguous, and it seems like it would be easier to make ugly code in
ruby than in python. However, i'm looking into the ruby api, it looks
rather cluttered and ugly, of coarse thats 99% becuase its C but thats
still beyond the point.

Personall preference doesn't help, though. For Python, heres my data:
   Pros:
    1) A full, version and operating system portable vm dump, if desired
    2) Thread support isn't the worlds best, but it lives up to our
requirements. Threads are only needed for Map Scripts, they are
optional but elegant (we could more simply have a callback system)
    3) Has a clean c++ interface that will make interfacing allmost
the entire system doable within a few weeks (with exceptions).
    4) Is portable, infact, portability (including system determinism)
is given quite a high priority, and you can often write OS portable
code in python without even knowing it
  Cons:
    1) Is a large dependancy
    2) Can allow a hacker access to the underlieing system if he/she
is experienced enough and willing to work around all inplace security
features (python does have them)

     -Bradley Arsenault