Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 15:32:34 -0700

On 5/1/06, Cyrille Dunant <address@hidden> wrote:

> It's not lazyness, I talked about char* removal and the ellipsis problem
> with Stéphane Magnenat, he told me to look at boost since we already depend
> on it. If you have a better idea, fine, please expose it.
> Reimplement everything all the time isn't a good solution too but if you
> have an idea to replace xxxprintf wich is not a cut n paste of boost, I'm
> open (even if there is work as opposed to what you said)

No, now, it is too late anyway, we already depend on boost, so we might as
well use it...

Of course, _stripping_ the boost dependency would be a worthwhile endeavour :)

--
-- Cyrille Dunant
-- EPFL-IMX-LMC

   Of course there's no reason for it, it's just our policy.

Dependancies are by no means evil, they are quite the opposite.

The dependancy itself can be a pain, but by depending on the library,
you have saved yourself countless hours of programming, and countless
more hours of debugging. Plus, if you have used a reputable library,
you are likely getting the code from someone who knows the topic of
the library *better* *than* *you*, which means it may have been
designed better than your way.

As well, the added dependancy isn't much of a pain at all. So what if
you have to download and compile an extra library when you reinstall
your os. 5 minutes of work, 10 minutes if your slow. Excuse me, but
spending hours writing code yourself to save 5 minutes downloading
from someone else is a very, very stupid idea