Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring

From: Nuage
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Refactoring
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 12:13:08 +0200

Sébastien wrote:
> So finally, what do we do ? do we vote ? :)

Yes!

As one of the "main" programmer, I guess I need to give my thoughts at one
point.

- printf() stuff is cool, and more readable than the java-ish C++ stuff.
- current mixes between C-string and std:string is a bit a mess. (as you said)
- external dependencies can be inconvenient.

I believe re-implementing our own is the best solution. I perfectly agree with
your current work.

If I need to give any reason, it's because we can "tune" our own implementation
for our own needs. See, even in a libe which is mean to be used to avoid code
re-implementation, they do it. For instance, QT doesn't use the std::vector,
std::list of the STL, but they use theirs own QVector, QList.

Personally, I prefer one of these two conventions, but as you do the work, you
can choose any operator name.
FormatableString("Hello %s %s").arg("to").arg("you")
FormatableString("Hello %s %s")("to")("you")

Thank you for handling this one!
Nuage