[glob2-devel] UDP networking library.

From: Matthew Marshall
Subject: [glob2-devel] UDP networking library.
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 20:44:08 -0400

I've seen some disscussion on rewriting (er, refactorying :-) the networking.
Has using an already made library been considered?  In particular I'm
thinking of RakNet.  It's a small C++ UDP networking library designed for use
in games.  It provides stuff like secure connections, reliable, ordered, or
sequenced packets (in multiple channels,) and built-in VoIP (using speex, and
it even works in Windows!)  It also provides some stuff like a bit packing
class and some statistics gathering.

The website also talks about automatic 'routing and multicasting via a minimum
spanning tree,' but I haven't looked into that yet.  (I've actually only used
a python wrapper, which works pretty well.)

It still would have the same problem of UDP NAT punch-through not working with
all NATs, but AFAIK, most consumer routers have a 'gaming mode' setting that
is set by default.  Most kids playing games will have already figured this
out.

I just thought it was worth mentioning...

MWM