Re: [glob2-devel] running globulation on mac os x

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] running globulation on mac os x
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 09:50:57 +0200

Hi I just played globulation on windows on my brother's computer and I
really like the game.  I want to run it on my computer which runs OS X.
There is no mac dmg listed on the download page even though there are
instructions on how to install it from a dmg.  In the discussion section of
the download page there is a comment that says that globulation 2 can be
installed on the mac using darwinports (now called MacPorts).  On the darwin
ports page, the version listed is 0.8.21, so it's a little bit out of date,
but there's another problem.  I followed the instructions and the darwin
ports installed a number of dependencies successfully and then I got this in
the console:

--->  Fetching glob2
--->  Attempting to fetch glob2-0.8.21.tar.gz from
http://globulation2.org//releases/0.8.21/
--->  Attempting to fetch glob2-0.8.21.tar.gz from
http://distfiles-od.opendarwin.org/glob2
--->  Attempting to fetch glob2-0.8.21.tar.gz from
http://distfiles-msn.opendarwin.org/glob2
--->  Attempting to fetch glob2-0.8.21.tar.gz from
http://distfiles-od.opendarwin.org/
--->  Attempting to fetch glob2-0.8.21.tar.gz from
http://distfiles-msn.opendarwin.org/
Error: Target com.apple.fetch returned: fetch failed

I'm guessing that the urls for this older version are no longer valid.  So
now I don't know what to do to install this game.  Do you think you guys can
make the binary for macintosh available?  Or if you can't, then point me in
the direction of how to do it myself because I really want to play this game
again.

You will find "glob2-0.8.21.tar.gz" here:
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/glob2/0.8.21/
Maybe it helps to copy that source file to the location that macports wants it.

I don't know much about apple, but you can try to install the latest release
yourself from source:
http://globulation2.org/wiki/Download_and_Install#Compile_from_Sources

If you encounter problems:  just ask for help.

Thanks for telling us that our installation instructions are wrong.
We should correct this.

--
Kai Antweiler