Re: [glob2-devel] more bugs on new glob2 version

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] more bugs on new glob2 version
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 01:52:26 -0400

On 7/31/07, Joe Wells <address@hidden> wrote:
Okay, I've briefly tried the latest glob2 a bit more.  In just a short
bit of testing here is what I have found:

• Bug:Any attempt to draw any areas (forbidden, clearing, guard)
  with any brush other than the smallest gets one of these 3 crashes
  (the line number depends on the type of area):

    glob2: src/Game.cpp:496: void Game::executeOrder(boost::shared_ptr<Order>, int): Assertion `false' failed.
    glob2: src/Game.cpp:591: void Game::executeOrder(boost::shared_ptr<Order>, int): Assertion `false' failed.
    glob2: src/Game.cpp:544: void Game::executeOrder(boost::shared_ptr<Order>, int): Assertion `false' failed.

This works for me. I fixed a related bug regarding areas that caused a variety of crashes and bugs, this may be what your experiencing.

• Bug:I got this crash when pressing the key to reduce the number of
  requested workers for a wall when the number had already been
  reduced to zero:

    glob2: src/Game.cpp:267: void Game::executeOrder(boost::shared_ptr<Order>, int): Assertion `omb->numberRequested <= 20' failed.

• Not a bug:The new key binding facility is great!  Thanks!

• Documentation/help Bug:There is no explanation of the notation
  used on the key binding setting screen.  How is the user supposed to
  know what "<->" means?  And how does that differ from "<[-]>"?  It
  would be better if there were some comments on the screen (or
  tooltips) that explained things.

• User confusion bug:Why when you choose "Add Shortcut" does it add
  a duplicate of the key binding of "escape" to "Show Main Menu"?  It
  seems the default key for any new key binding is "escape".  It would
  be better if the default were "no key chosen yet".  Similarly, it
  would be better if the default action were "no action chosen yet"
  instead of "show main menu".

Its not really a duplicate, its just the default key binding. I'll change this now. I need to get in contact with Attila who updated the Português do Brasil translation to do two more translations for this.

• Old Bug:The fog of war is very dim.  It would be better if it were
  not so dim.  (I supplied a patch earlier that would fix this, but it
  was not applied correctly and appears to have been reverted.)

• Bug:It is very difficult to see areas on the fog of war because of
  its dimness.  It would be better if areas were not affected by the
  dimness.  (The point of the fog of war is to dim things that you
  don't know, but you _know_ exactly where you have placed areas, so
  it doesn't make sense to dim the area markings.)  This could be done
  by drawing the areas _after_ drawing the dimness for fog of war, so
  the area markings would be at full brightness.

I hope these comments are helpful.

--
Joe