Re: [glob2-devel] Remaining Beta 1 bug

From: Stéphane Magnenat
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Remaining Beta 1 bug
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:49:25 +0200

On Thursday 23 August 2007 08:20:36 Bradley Arsenault wrote:
> I am trying to reproduce the memory-trashing bug, however most of my
> attempts fail. Valgrind runs too slowly, and the bug never seems to appear
> without human activly playing. I'm going to run glob2 autonomously all
> night and hope I can pick something up. Otherwise we will have to release
> with this bug.
>
> If anyone can contribute any other crash bugs with relevant crash
> information, I'm open.

I got this bug while in gdb once, but the backtrace was in libc, so that
wasn't very informative. Might it be a race condition in the overlay maps
thread ?

Talking about fertility map, we could pre-compute it at map creation and use
its probabilities in the resource growing code instead of doing the lookup on
the actual terrain. I don't know why Nuage and me did not think at it
earlier. We were young and short-sighted ;-)

Have a nice day,

http://stephane.magnenat.net