Re: [glob2-devel] revisiting unit conversion (and how overpowered it is)

From: Bradley Arsenault
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] revisiting unit conversion (and how overpowered it is)
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 18:13:16 -0400

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Kyle Lutze <address@hidden> wrote:
Recently more and more people have been showing up on YOG with the
release of beta2 (it's been awesome) but one thing everybody playing
has been mentioning is how overpowered conversion is. This is how
conversion currently works (assuming enemy has fruit vision on)

- unit becomes hungry
- unit gets a list of all inns within range, including enemy inns
- unit then checks which inn will make it the happiest with fruits
- unit goes to that inn. if it is an enemy inn unit converts.

I'm sure you can see from that how overpowered that is and how fast
it can ruin a game. here's my proposal for a new way to do conversion:

- unit becomes hungry
- unit gets a list of all inns within range, including enemy inns
- unit checks own inns for room and food. if there are empty slots
then check if any inns have fruit and go there, otherwise go to
first available.
- if all inns are full then look at enemy inns for fruit. if enemy
has fruit and a free spot, convert.
- if no friendly inns in range and hostile inns are in range, convert.

This gives a player a much better playing experience and doesn't
allow a person to win purely on getting to the fruit trees first.

discuss

- Kyle

Your new proposal would mean that you can't force a conversion on an enemy. Heres a concept that will be far easier to control to get just the right level of conversion, rather than algorithmic changes.

Currently, the happiness an inn can provides is a function only of the fruit it has within. Thus, a unit chooses the closest Inn for every team and converts based on which has the largest happiness.

All we have to do to modify the level of conversion is to give units a "loyalty" factor, rather than make them entirely hedonistic and always willing to convert to get more happiness. Basically, the local team's happiness level is multiplied by this 'loyalty' factor, which we'd have to determine through experimentation. This gives units a bias to stay on the current team, and we can easily control the amount of bias until we get the right level of conversion.

--
Extra cheese comes at a cost. Bradley Arsenault.