Re: [glob2-devel] USL status update

From: Kieran P
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] USL status update
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 17:56:46 +1200

Nct and I added a bit of functionality to USL, we even wrote some doc
on the wiki:
http://globulation2.org/wiki/Map_editor_guide#USL

That's awesome. Thanks for that. It's a very.... different language isn't it....

There are a few important features missing:
- threading (a.k.a. stories)
- serialization (otherwise execution state is lost when saving/loading games)

True, but going from the API, there is a lot more than that missing. Integration with the games gui for example to hide all elements as the game maker sees fit (menu buttons, buildings, flags, tabs etc). I noticed Nct's ML post about 'space'. It plays a vital part in the Tutorial, and needs! to be there (if its that bad, have it work out if we're in a net game, and if so, turn space into wait(10), else wait for the space as normal. Moving over the commands of the new features Bradley added is a must as well. These include but arn't limited to showing/hiding/completing/failing objectives, showing/hiding hints, and the new unit/building/panel highlighting system (highlighting elements with a big blue arrow). Not to mention area controls, chaning ai types on the fly when playing, changing alliances ingame via the script, and timers.

They're all needed IMHO. Once they're cleanly moved over to USL, and we can ditch SGSL, I'll rewrite the tutorial from scratch and add a new fun interactive campaign in my spare time. Until then, I'm holding off on doing that.

So is there any ETA when these things could be implemented?

--
Regards
Kieran