Re: [glob2-devel] YOG hosting/diagnosis

From: Jannis Froese
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] YOG hosting/diagnosis
Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 12:25:30 +0200

Hi,
I would strongly suggest to hash them a second time after appending a salt (the salt could even be fixed). The Server would then check the password by generating the hash sha1(sha1(password + salt)). If we don't do add a salt of any way, the passwords are not very secure, as unsalted Passwords are quickly decrypted using Rainbow Tables (sort of heavily compressed hash lookup). To see how easy this is look at http://freerainbowtables.com, where you can download tables for passwords with up to 9 characters, depending on complexibility of the password.

Regards