glug-nith-discuss

[Glug-nith-discuss] [important] Enlist Fedora mirror with Fedoraproject?

From: Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray
Subject: [Glug-nith-discuss] [important] Enlist Fedora mirror with Fedoraproject?
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 19:40:09 +0530

Are we interested in maintaining the private Fedora mirrors in NIT Hamirpur?

If we are not, then feel free to delete this email and I will delete
the fedora.glug-nith.org sub-domain with immediate effect.

If you are remotely interested, read on. Interesting stuff ahead.

Sometime back Rakesh had forwarded a mail regarding the absense of
Fedora mirrors in India. This is related to that.

I am told Razorblade's bandwidth shortage has been addressed recently,
but we are still way short of the cut-off (atleast 100Gbps) to become
an official public mirror. However that does not change the fact that
Razorblade will always be very fast as far as the users in the campus
are concerned. So let us try to work out a compromise. :-)

However there is a problem in using the Razorblade mirrors. The user
needs to manually configure their Yum to work with these repositories.
On the other hand, all the international public mirrors are
automatically configured by Yum. Would it not be wonderful if we could
find a way in which the private Razorblade mirrors could be
automatically configured and enabled for all NIT Hamirpur users
without any extra effort?

To do that we need to enlist our mirrors in Fedora's MirrorManager
database as a private mirror and mention the range of IPs used by the
NIT Hamirpur folks. This would prevent any non-GLUG-NITH from using
our mirrors, and also automatically configure all the Fedora
installations in the campus to use Razorblade.

Here is a mail from Matt Domsch explaining the process. Anyone interested?

Regards,
Debarshi