Re: [Gm2] code compiled by GM2

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Gm2] code compiled by GM2
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 16:56:58 +0100

Gour <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> although I'm at the moment looking at Object Pascal (FPC/Lazarus), I
> still keep some interest in Modula-2 and although I'm aware that
> possibilites to write GUI desktop app are limited, I'm curios for what
> kind of programs is GM2 compiler uses, iow. if users of this list can
> share what kind of code is compiled with GM2 *today* ?
>

> Sincerely,
> Gour

Hi Gour,

I am using gm2 to build a physics game engine which is in the
gm2/examples/pge directory.  It builds as an a.out or as a shared
library which becomes a Python module - so the 'main' program is Python
which calls upon the Modula-2 to do the heavy work.  It uses MemStream
and swig to communicate with Python.  gm2 works well here as it
implements runtime checking - exceptions and Python can catch these etc.

I also use gm2 for embedded work with the Atmega 328p, very small
embedded projects.  Also I have a microkernel written in Modula-2.

Lastly I like writing simple games in Modula-2, such as chess, halma,
pegfive and penguin tower.  Of course much of the front end of gm2 is
also written in Modula-2.

regards,
Gaius