gmediaserver-devel

[gmediaserver-devel] UUID / UDN of gmediaserver

From: Arthur Taylor
Subject: [gmediaserver-devel] UUID / UDN of gmediaserver
Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:16:09 +0000

Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm implementing a UPnP client, and for the
purposes of the client, I'm treating UUIDs as, well, 'Universally
Unique'. The gmediaserver has one UUID/UDN for all instances of the
software worldwide, which is causing my client some confusion when more
than one gmediaserver is running at the same time.

Have I misinterpretend the Device Architecture document, or is this a
problem with server's implementation? I note that the spec. says that
device ID should persist over reboots, which could be tricky, but I
think having the device ID vary over reboots would be less of a problem
to clients than an infinite number of devices with the same UUID.

If I have to write I client that tolerates duplicate UDNs, what would
you recommend as a secondary identifier for devices to distinguish
between them? I'd ideally like to be able to run more than one
gmediaserver on the same machine.

Thanks,

Arthur