Re: [Gnash-dev] Loading external movies

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Loading external movies
Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 09:36:11 +0200

On Wed, May 10, 2006 at 05:44:53PM -0700, John Gilmore wrote:
> > We will need to support network streaming (for NetConnection, and
> > NetStream).
>
> Won't you also need to support streaming of the Flash movie itself,
> rather than reading the whole thing into /tmp before processing it?
>
> Whatever "read-a-file-gradually,-possibly-over-the-network" infrastructure
> you build for files referenced in Flash movies should also be usable for that.

Right, that is what I had in mind. libcurl is based on callbacks.
Basically a specified routine gets called whenever there's a new
chunk of data available.
Wrapping it around tu_file would need to synthetize a blocking interface,
for reads(), but it won't require the file to be fully downloaded before
providing required chunks.

I'm not sure about this but I assume SWF parsing is in a separate
thread from playing, so that blockin on SWF reads woudn't hurt.
We'd still need to support a timeout signaling