Re: [Gnash-dev] device fonts

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] device fonts
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 20:22:14 +0200

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 05:47:25PM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello strk,
>
> Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 5:24:00 PM, you wrote:
> s> I dropped support for textured glyphs from device fonts.
>
> Is this discussion *only* related to device fonts? Please note the PP
> also uses the OS font rendering for device fonts. Their placement is
> less precise compared to embedded glyphs. So perhaps we can go the
> same way for Gnash?

Yes, only to device fonts. We weren't using textured glyphs already,
for a long time. I dropped support for them when introducing progressive
implementation of the software renderer found (and still being) in fontlib.cpp.
That drop long ago introduced what is know as the infamous "text quality
regression".
Since AGG was doing a good job with vectors that bug became a not-so-important
one.

I guess precision of placement is a separate issue, due to the possibly
different metrics
found in systems and different fonts being used (font name to actual font
filenames matching)

> s> BTW, the current vectorial device font doesn't seem to work at all with
> OGL, left/right fill
> s> problem most likely as I saw a similar thing with drawing api.
>
> I want to point out that shapes of *embedded* glyphs need to be
> rendered with different rules (compared to other shapes). I guess
> device fonts even more different..

Uh ? I think I used the same rules used for embedded glyhps. The only
difference  being
the way we create the paths (SWF-defined for embedded, gnash-defined for OS
fonts) which
is where I belive OGL fails (it's known to fail with some of our drawing API
tests too).