Re: [Gnash-dev] device fonts

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] device fonts
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 11:04:48 +0200

On Sat, Jun 16, 2007 at 10:49:59AM +0200, Udo Giacomozzi wrote:
> Hello strk,
>
> Saturday, June 16, 2007, 1:53:11 AM, you wrote:
> s> I saw AGG supports freetype, so I guess that's where you'd like to
> s> go ;)
>
> Frankly I was thinking at OpenGL and that it maybe would be simpler to
> use built-in system functions (something like GDI in Windows) in
> OpenGL..?

We can always add a drawTTFGlyph() method to render_handler and try
it out...

> >> After all, use of device fonts is very restricted in PP:
> s> Yes, I noticed too. Don't we want to do better than that ? :)
>
> Don't we want to be as much compatible as possible? So the answer
> is "no" in the long term...

Ehm.. I tend to disagree here.
We surely don't want to be bug-compatible and I personally don't
want gnash to be limit-compatible.

Why would we need free software if not for breaking limits ? :)
It's a matter of freedom... we may offer a compatibility setting
(in gnashrc for instance) to allow flash coders to verify if their
movie would run with the PP, but after all yourself as first use
FileIO ..

> s> I see. Can you find an example in which AGG fails rendering OS
> s> fonts ? If not, maybe we found the bug in OGL ?
>
> I'll check current HEAD once I'm back in the office.
>
> The effect of this problem is that very decorated, with much
> ornamentation, fonts show holes where two strokes intersect. Probably
> this also depends on the font creation software, which could avoid
> such situations (like Flash does).
>
> Doing a quick search I found this font which *potentially* could show
> the problem: http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts/c/Cretino.ttf

I guess the same problem would apply with plain Drawing api calls.
Can you try to provide such an example in the existing DrawingApiTest.as
and see how PP renders it (yes, I understood you said OS fonts do not
use those calls, but it seems worth checking this out).