Re: [Gnash-dev] What's our Mac story for gnash?

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] What's our Mac story for gnash?
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 09:27:38 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 6 Jun 2008, Russ Nelson wrote:

Bastiaan Jacques writes:
> I've been doing some work on the Mac port very recently. I managed to
> get the Aqua GUI working (with OpenGL, which comes with most (or all))
> Macs. I had to implement antialiasing using the multisample OpenGL
> extension because the Mac doesn't have hardware acceleration for the
> accumulation buffer (the antialiasing method we currently use). Anyway,
> the port is now almost complete. There are a few areas that need work
> like streaming video and implementing a few GUI hooks. Also we'll need
> to fix up our Mac package creation code.
>
> That said, this will likely not make it into 0.8.3.

Two questions:

1) Is our Aqua GUI working at all?
2) Does your Aqua GUI touch anything outside itself except in "safe" ways?

Yes, the port requires significant changes in the OpenGL renderer.

If the answers are "no" and "no", then I see no harm in including it
in 0.8.3 even if it isn't working perfectly.

I don't really see the point in including it in 0.8.3, because the
average Mac user doesn't want to download a tarball and install a dozen
dependencies in MacPorts (which they probably won't even have). And the
ones who are willing to go that length won't mind fetching the sources
from HEAD.

Hopefully, when I fix the outstanding bugs, I'll be able to create a
binary package.

For these reasons, I think we shouldn't worry about the Aqua GUI for the
release.

Bastiaan