Re: [Gnash-dev] 2nd try: How can Internet Archive flash script pick code

From: Bastiaan Jacques
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] 2nd try: How can Internet Archive flash script pick codec to use?
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2008 15:04:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Benjamin Wolsey wrote:

I've discussed this a few times with other devs. As far as we know, the
proprietary Flash player doesn't offer a way in Flash to find out what
codecs are available. It does in Flash Lite, but that's unfortunately
not available in the usual Adobe Flash player.

Is it reasonable to assume that a system will have at least proprietary
*or* free codecs? In that case, with current Gnash, it should be
possible for a SWF to attempt to play a ogg theora/vorbis file using
NetStream. For systems that don't have free codecs, NetStream's onStatus
callback should be fired with an error. The SWF can then proceed to load
the proprietary version of the movie.

Or am I missing something?

Bastiaan