Re: [Gnash-dev] 2nd try: How can Internet Archive flash script pick code

From: Benjamin Otte
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] 2nd try: How can Internet Archive flash script pick codec to use?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 12:12:19 +0200

So, I've spent a while thinking about the problem and the proposed solution.

First of all, I think the solution is not very good, for 2 reasons: a
lack of understanding of multimedia from the person writing it up and
the second is that such a huge list doesn't make it easy for the
application developer to decide which format to use. Should someone
that wants to use some format really have to check audio codec, video
codec and container format? Where does it put Ogg Skeleton support for
the subtitles?

But most of all, I think extending the supported video formats of
Flash is not very useful. I can see two reasons for this. The first is
promoting the Flash format, which still is the last thing I want. The
second is to allow videos with features that aren't available today.
And the only feature that Flash video formats don't give you yet is
Freedom. But if you care about Freedom, you don't use Flash, you use
HTML5 and <video> with Ogg Theora. So the proper solution for the Free
video problem is Firefox 3.1 and a little Javascript.
Or am I missing something?

Cheers,
Benjamin