[Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] Gnash/XVideo Patch for 0.8.3

From: strk
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Re: [Gnash] Gnash/XVideo Patch for 0.8.3
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 08:25:42 +0200

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 06:42:02PM -0600, Craig Kelley wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 6:08 PM, strk <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 11:39:05AM -0600, Craig Kelley wrote:
> > > I've updated my XVideo patch for 0.8.3.  It can be found here:
> > >
> > >    http://www.xmission.com/~ink/gnash/gnash-xvideo/
> >
> > The patch makes 'xvideo' look like an actual gui, why ?
> > Also, the patch requires gtk gui and ffmpeg media handler,
> > isn't there a chance to make use of xvideo also from other guis
> > (X-based) and other media handlers ?
>
> It makes it a gui so that it is completely optional.   It
> fundamentally changes the GTK gui, and I didn't want to upset the
> default build of gnash with it (an early design decision made on IRC,
> but by no means required).

I see it like the mit-shm extension, no need to be a separate gui,
just a configuration for the existing ones.
I assume NO xvideo will be used at runtime if not requested by user
or not available in the X server in use.

> It requires ffmpeg because it needs an
> rgb->yuv conversion routine, which cannot be provided by gst (yet --
> appsink + ffmpegcolorspace plugin would work, but appsink is in ugly
> right now).

Would it make sense to expose such routine from the MediaHandler
interface (new in trunk) ?

> It could be a 3rd autoconf flag --enable-xvideo, but in
> reality it's currently a "subclass" of the GTK gui.  It will never
> work with non-X GUI's (fb, fltk on Windows, etc.).  I haven't seen a
> good way to implement it in KDE.

This doesn't seem like a problem to me. --enable-mit-shm has the
same limit.

> This patch may not be for everyone, but it does let you watch SWF's at
> full screen on low-end hardware.  I can watch Homestar Runner cartoons
> at 1280x1024 on an AMD Geode 1Ghz with an ancient S3 on-board video
> adapter.  It works with Mozilla as well.

It's a pity if this patch goes discarded IMHO.
What do other developers think about putting it in ?

My suggestion is just use --enable-xvideo.