Re: [Gnash-dev] Development for Win32

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Development for Win32
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2008 09:44:03 +0100

> Let me ask what has been done with Win32 port until now or where else
> can I find info about that?

Dossy has been doing win32 builds using mingw on Windows 2003. The only
Windows-specific code at the moment is in plugins/win32, but there are
also Windows-specific includes where needed.

> My own approach would be to work with MS Visual C++ compiler instead
> of GNU compiler ports to Win32 and address IE plugin (that is ActiveX)
> as well. That would cause branching of the build files and tools
> because of the need to include Visual Studio solutions, projects and
> DOS batch files in source distribution.

I don't see this as a great problem. A while ago we had a win32
directory with a msvc++ (VC8) project file and some other things (I
think the code that became Gnash was initially developed on Windows),
but it was removed because it was out of date. It can be retrieved if
it's of any help.

We do our best to use only standard C++, and where system functions are
necessary we use compatibility headers or ifdefs, so I dare to guess
that the code should build with msvc++ without massive adjustment. The
main barrier to people doing in the past has been having to build some
dependencies natively as well, but it sounds like you don't have
problems with that.

bwy

--
Free Flash, use Gnash