Re: [Gnash-dev] Hello gnash! Questions from a Linux newbie

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Hello gnash! Questions from a Linux newbie
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 09:08:28 +0100

> 1. Can I use configure to make a version of gnash that doesn't have a
> GUI? How? I want to use it as a plug-in and provide the display myself.

gprocessor (utilities/processor.cpp) is a version of Gnash without a
GUI, so perhaps you can start from there. I don't know if Gnash builds
without a GUI (--disable-gui *ought* to work), but you can just ignore
the GUI once it's built anyway...

It's also possible to use GUIs themselves as a plugin by setting up an X
window and passing its handle with -X to Gnash. This is how the browser
plugin works.

> 3. (Really dumb question). I *THINK* that I have configured and made a
> full debug build (I passed the CFLAGS=-g CXXFLAGS=-g to make). How do I
> run gdb (or any recommended debugger) and what/where is the executable
> to debug?

For an executable in the build directory:

libtool --mode=execute gdb --args gui/gtk-gnash file.swf

For installed Gnash executables:

gdb --args gtk-gnash file.swf

As you point out, 'gnash' is a shell script, so gtk-gnash, kde-gnash etc
are the correct invocations.

> Well, something doesn't work and the video doesn't
> update. If someone will give me some pointers where to begin looking
> (like maybe where the mouse messages are routed? It acts like the flash
> isn't getting/processing those events) I will debug it and, if I do find
> and fix a bug, submit it for inclusion.

It could be any number of things, from actionscript interpretation to
button hit tests. The best thing for you to do is probably to submit a
bug report (https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?group=gnash) with the URL of
the SWF, so that someone can look at it and point you in the right
direction. We're grateful for anyone working on bugs.

Also, you should make sure you are using current sources
(video_stream_instance is now Video, for instance), or your patches
won't apply, and you might be working on bugs that are already fixed :)

bwy

--
Yes, YouTube does work in Gnash
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/