Re: [Gnash-dev] Diff for libbase under MSVC++ WIn32

From: Benjamin Wolsey
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Diff for libbase under MSVC++ WIn32
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:36:53 +0100

Am Dienstag, den 18.11.2008, 21:20 -0500 schrieb Tonko Juricic:
> If any of you guys and girls have time/and/or desire to look into or
> comment on, attached is a bzr diff of changes requited to compile
> libbase under Visual Studio 2008.

Thanks for this! I'll make some changes based on the diff tomorrow, if I
have time. Some points from this patch:

>  Also I am trying to
> pass without using any config header file, so HAVE_CONFIG_H is not
> defined and "gnashconfig.h" does not exist.

Why? I see there are several #defines such as:

> +#if defined(_MSC_VER)
> +
> +#define DEFAULT_FLASH_PLATFORM_ID "WIN"
> +#define DEFAULT_FLASH_SYSTEM_OS "Windows"
> +#define DEFAULT_FLASH_MAJOR_VERSION "9"
> +#define DEFAULT_FLASH_MINOR_VERSION "0"
> +#define DEFAULT_FLASH_REV_NUMBER "999"
> +#define DEFAULT_STREAMS_TIMEOUT 60
> +#define SYSCONFDIR "."
> +
> +#endif

which ought not to be there. Isn't it possible to provide a
gnashconfig.h for msvc++? That would be a better solution from my point
of view.

Other criticisms: nothing from libcore should be included in libbase
(as_value.h in utility.h), and there doesn't seem to be a good reason
for introducing an ifdef for get_pid_id() in log.h, rather than
increasing the mess in utility.h.

The rest seems fine. With regard to ease of maintenance, though, I think
it would be worth working out now, rather than later, which functions
are in which header files on which platform, or it will become a
nightmare to touch any includes.

From a brief look, for instance, it seems that read() is in io.h for
msvc++ and unistd.h on most other systems. I think it would be useful
for all of us to have a reference here. A table on the wiki including
all the system functions we use and the appropriate headers might be a
start, or at least a pointer to another resource on this. It would help
to design a useful system for includes.

bwy

Use Gnash, the GNU Flash Player!
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/