[Gnash-dev] Flash/Gnash based simple paint programs for OLPC -

From: Martin Langhoff
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Flash/Gnash based simple paint programs for OLPC -
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 10:31:26 -0500

[ re-sending now that I'm subscribed to the list ]

Hi!

I am working on the school server side of the OLPC project -- our
laptops include Gnash in the standard build (this is good!). Now, I am
adapting webbased educational tools (Moodle and related software) to
fit better in the usage of users in the 6-to-12 age group, and their
teachers or parents.

A big item in the list is to make it really easy for them to draw --
inline -- in the middle of a wysiswg html-area type form widget, in
the webbrowser. In fact, maybe they just won't write, 'finger
painting' is more far more important than writing for the younger
ones. Yes, they do have a paint app, but finding a document and
uploading it is too much indirection.

Enough preambles - I am looking for a good very simple (but usable)
"draw/paint" Flash/Gnash project...

 - needs to be FOSS :-)
 - compatible with Gnash, or reasonably easy to fix compatibility bugs
-- no workee with gnash, no shipee...
 - bonus points if it can do simple rotate/crop of already existing images
 - bonus points for nice and localisable UI
 - super obscene bonus points and panting groupies if it can do the
kind of "show me how it's done" play button that Queekly has
 - if a good implementation is found, I'll integrate it with Moodle,
with plans to make it part of the official moodle distro -- Moodle
fairly popular so a good tool can get a ton of exposure and additional
developers to help

Does something good exist? Something almost good that I can help
'finish'? I really don't want to go out and implement anything from
scratch.

Mauno -- a fellow moodler -- has found a few interesting ones, there's
a bit of discussion in this forum thread (use the 'login as guest'
button to avoid registering)
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=110902 -- the best tool for
the purposes I have is the drawing program at http://queekly.com/
specially because you can "replay" other people's drawings.

Related questions

 - Is there an easy way on ubuntu or fedora to have both gnash and
adobe flash player installed and switch them (with a browser restart,
of course) or to have one webbrowser with each? (I normally run
firefox, epiphany and galeon just to have various user sessions on the
same webapp)

 - Is there a gnash/flash development environment on linux? If I find
a candidate tool that I want to tweak or fix, I want to avoid having
to license and run Adobe's Flash thing... with the additional burden
of using wine or borrowing a mac.

 - Are there good debugging tools, strategies, hints, practices,
howtos to work on making existing flash content more compatible with
Gnash?

I'll be happy to RTFM -- hints as to which FM to read very welcome!

cheers,

 address@hidden
 address@hidden -- School Server Architect
 - ask interesting questions