Re: [Gnash-dev] Media parsing

From: strk
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Media parsing
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 17:30:49 +0100

On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 06:22:42PM +0200, Shachar Kaufman wrote:
> > In any case the current users expect to find timestamps in the
> > queue, so your best bet would be to demux-and-decode in one
> > step and store the result in the queues, then do nothing
> > from the decoder (except a memory copy).
> >

> 1. When you say current users expect timestamps, do you mean in the encoded
> frames queue or the decoded frames queue or both? Why should encoded frames
> need a time stamp anyway?

Timestamps in encoded frame are expected.
Why I dunno, but this was the case with FLV, which is the only
officially supported container format AFAIK.
My guess is this is so it's possible to build an index of cue
points w/out decoding the stream.
The guess is based on behavioural analisys of a running youtube player,
tracking bytesLoaded/bytesTotal, bufferTime, memory use, filesystem caching
and seek operations.