Re: [Gnash-dev] embedded graphics & Gnash

From: Bernd Kischnick
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] embedded graphics & Gnash
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2010 17:14:45 +0200

Hi Matteo,

Using cairo+OpenVG backend is quite inefficient for two main reasons:

- all persistent objects of OpenVG (paths, paints, fonts, images, ...) are not used in the right way they have been thought for (i.e. reuse); for example cairo openvg backend creates / paints / destroy path every time they appear. OpenVG handles have been thought to be created once and used multiple times

- adding intermediate layers between application and rendering API could make the application slower than using the rendering API directly

in better detail than we could assume in our project, you're summarising why we, too, came to the conclusion that we would have to avoid a stack of libraries, if we wanted to extract any performance from the hardware.

that's why we chose to concentrate on gnash with its existing OpenGL backend, which was already coupled as directly as possible to the hardware platform we were given.

- Bernd