Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash fallback in Lightspark - worked!

From: John Gilmore
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Gnash fallback in Lightspark - worked!
Date: Fri, 06 Aug 2010 16:34:17 -0700

> firefox is not able to handle more than a plugin for a single MIME type,

Just about when you replied, I found your blog posting about this:

  http://allievi.sssup.it/techblog/?p=525

I removed the gnash plugin from my $HOME/.mozilla/plugins, restarted
Firefox, and now Lightspark appears to start.  But on a Youtube page:

  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5utHUrkqtc

it renders a muddy mess (screen shot at www.toad.com/TEMP-lightmess.png).
I haven't been able to catch the program actually running as a child
of Firefox (it seems to crash too quickly -- or is it actually running
the whole interpreter inside the Firefox process)?

Also, when I run it from the command line:

address@hidden:~$ lightspark --help
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'lightspark::RunTimeException'
  what():  Lightspark error
Aborted
address@hidden:~$ lightspark --version
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'lightspark::RunTimeException'
  what():  Lightspark error
Aborted

I hope you can improve it so it identifies its version, both on the
command line and in the plugin.  As more people start using it, this
will vastly simplify your support job.

Hey!  When I picked a random kids' flash game:

  http://www.freeworldgroup.com/games2/gameindex/dadnmebig.htm

it came up in Firefox, and ran gnash, and it works!  It falls back
cleanly!  (Much of the game works in gnash, too, tho not all of it.)

It looks like this won't let gnash do its more recent features like
ExternalInterface, because it's the Lightspark plugin communicating
with the Gnash interpreter.  But it's a step...

        John