Re: [Gnash-dev] Dictatorship again ?

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] Dictatorship again ?
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:22:14 -0700

On 12/08/10 15:50, strk wrote:

  I am the Gnash project maintainer, which does translate to benevolent
dictator. That's what works, anything else is anarchy. If you don't like
it, start your own project... Personally I think we're all better trying
to work together on a free flash implementation.

> For some obscure reason, rob reverted this change
> I've made (that took me a long time) w/out explaining
> what was wrong with it, except

  The change was made because the behavior was broken. Besides, you
reverted my fix yesterday.

> It's over my head. Once again.

  Yes, you probably shouldn't work on configure/build code, as you
obviously don't understand how it all has to work. Our config & build
system is very complex, it breaks easy unless you bother to test
everything, which you fail to do.

> Rule number 3 is:
>  - commits shall not be reverted except as a last resort.

  Strk, you reverted my change first... I didn't revert your change, I
fixed the Makefile code instead.

> Of course I'm pretty much pissed off ...

  I'm seriously pissed off. I've lost 2 days cause of your changes. You
broke *all* package building, I had no choice but to fix it so I could
build package snapshots.

> Also, I've pointed out that some implementation of 'which'
> return 'no <command>' when nothing is found, which breaks
> his "make-time checking".
> Answer:
>     "it was better before"
> Impressive !

  It was better before, and you didn't talk about what you were trying
to do either, you just did it. You are just as guilty as what you are
accusing me of. After all the BS I got in the spring, *you* are the one
currently breaking builds somewhat daily... If you notice, the current
version of the revno.h target doesn't use which. The big issue, which
you keep refusing to acknowledge is before it had a default if git
wasn't installed to the current date. You keep removing that, and I
depend on that working...

  If you could just get off your high-horse and realize we all cause
occasional problems, we'd be able to cooperate much better. Instead you
seem to have this righteous anger at nothing... You'd prefer to yell at
me instead of talk.

  So let me get this straight. You broke package building on all
platforms, and I fixed it. What is the problem ? I though that was
called working together.