Re: [Gnash-dev] FSF directed donations / committee

From: Rob Savoye
Subject: Re: [Gnash-dev] FSF directed donations / committee
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 07:23:55 -0600

On 10/29/11 00:24, Sandro Santilli wrote:

> Given OpenMediaNow can't act anymore as a sponsor I think it would
> be helpful to have access to the FSF donations.

  Correct, Open Media Now is 100% shut down. As a note, the IRS is
declining all non-profits that want to do free software projects. They
consider these as commercial businesses in disguise. So if we couldn't
make it as a non-profit, I saw zero reason to attempt to do this as a
for-profit business, since nobody wants to be "told what to do"...

> So, what would you think about defining such committee ? Who would like
> to be part of it ? An example document describing purpose and proceeding
> methods of a "Project Steering Committee" can be found here:
>
> http://trac.osgeo.org/postgis/wiki/RFC/RFC-1
>
> Personally, I think such a committee, with well defined decision making
> process rules, would not only help dealing with the FSF but also make it
> easier to take decisions.

  As I mentioned before, you seem to want to apply this offer for fund
raising to establishing some kind of control over other facets of the
Gnash project. This is why I turned down the FSF on their offer, as it
would just lead to more infighting and flame wars as we'd fight over
allocating money.

  I'm personally a big believer in the benevolent dictator model of
project management, *not* the committee idea. There really isn't much to
"manage" these days anyway, Gnash is more in maintainance mode, than
active development.