[Gnash-dev] Problem with gnash and Chromium

From: scott092707
Subject: [Gnash-dev] Problem with gnash and Chromium
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2013 20:59:31 -0500 (EST)

When I installed Lubuntu 13.10, something I added pulled in the Adobe Flash plugin, and that was what Chromium was using when I first went to YouTube in Chromium.
I know this, as 1) the videos started immediately, 2) the context menu was not gnash's and 3), Chromium's Plugin page showed Flash being handled by Adobe Flash, not gnash.
I un-installed the Adobe Flash Installer Pkg, and then went to Chromium's

Plugin page.
Now it said Flash was being handled by gnash.
Great.
Fire up a Youtube video.
1) the videos started immediately, 2) the context menu was not gnash's
Huh?
I disabled the plugin for gnash.  Now all greyed out, with an "Enable" button.
Fire up a Youtube video.
1) the videos started immediately, 2) the context menu was not gnash's
Huh?
OK.
Un-Install Chromium, marking for Complete Removal.
Re-install Chromium.
Chromium plugin for Flash says "gnash".
Great.
Fire up a Youtube video.
1) the videos started immediately, 2) the context menu was not gnash's

The only thing I can think of is that either:
1) Chromium has its own Flash plugin, that it doesn't announce, which it uses when it has nothing else to use that isn't disabled.
2) It copied the Adobe Flash plugin somewhere that did not get removed when Chromium was un-installed.
I am inclined to think 2), as one or two other things Chromium seems to know, that a freshly-installed, unused app. should not know (such as typing "c" in the page address field, and having the first suggestion be "Chrome//:plugins", which of course I had done quite a lot recently).

I guess I will have to go and try to find out all the places that Chromium stores stuff, un-install Chromium again, and make sure all those places have been deleted, before again installing it...

[It seems ludicrous, that it is still able to play Flash, after the plugin has been disabled!]

-Scott