gnash

Re: [Gnash] Gnash installation on Debian Wheezy HELP!

From: Gabriele Giacone
Subject: Re: [Gnash] Gnash installation on Debian Wheezy HELP!
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2014 22:47:42 +0100

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 9:49 PM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
> Thanks, but how do I know what version I have except looking at what I once
> downloaded? In case it's already updated. Shouldn't there be some kond of
> "About" dialog somewhere?

$ dpkg -l|grep gnash

> I have already restored sources.list to its original content.
>
> Upgrade system? Can that be done with apt-get? Apt-get update and then
> apt-get upgrade? Then I think I have already done it several times.

Ok probably you already upgraded to 7.4 then.
Read man apt-get, you might want to use apt-get dist-upgrade too.

> What do you mean is the difference of upgrading to 7.4 and "newer versions",
> are "newer versions" newer than 7.4?

Upgrading to 7.4 means upgrading all installed packages to the latest
point release ones, a full system upgrade.
As said. 7.4 ships a fix to play youtube videos by default, the only
change in stable since 7.0 btw.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases/PointReleases

> what would happen if I installed from
> backport-repository? Would all changes like DNS and screen and mouse and
> program settings disappear? Changes that I have had to run console commands
> to alter.

Installing from wheezy-backports means installing packages from
testing/unstable rebuilt for wheezy (stable). So recent versions newer
than stable ones.
As Instructions page I pointed out says, you will add backports repo
then you will only upgrade to backports version what you want, in your
case gnash packages. Nothing else will change.

Wheezy 7           0.8.11~git20120629-1
Wheezy 7.4         0.8.11~git20120629-1+deb7u1
testing (Jessie)   0.8.11~git20140319+dfsg-1
wheezy-backports   0.8.11~git20140319+dfsg-1~bpo70+1

> Thank you very much, you have already answered two questions, of which one I
> have spent hours searching, not getting the answer.

https://bugs.debian.org/724732#10 could answer some questions you have
not made yet :)

--
G..e