gnats-prs

tkgnats/142: Stack overflow

From: zhenchen
Subject: tkgnats/142: Stack overflow
Date: 7 Feb 2001 00:19:33 -0000

>Number:         142
>Category:       tkgnats
>Synopsis:       Stack overflow
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
>Responsible:    rickm
>State:          open
>Class:          sw-bug
>Submitter-Id:   net
>Arrival-Date:   Tue Feb 06 16:24:00 PST 2001
>Closed-Date:
>Last-Modified:
>Originator:     address@hidden
>Release:        GUN CC 2.7.2
I am having a stack overflow problem when my C++ program is compiled and linked
using GCC and ld.  The problem was not there when the same program is compiled
using a different compiler.

The GCC version is 2.7.2
Compile and link with no errors.

Description of the problem:
When a class has a data member that is an array of another class (composition),
the memory is reserved on the stack instead of heap when the class is
constructed.  The size of the memory is equal to the size of the array * size
of the class which is larger than the stack size.

As I understand that the data members that declared in the class header file
will live in the heap,  and stack is a working storage for the task which backs
up the register values and addresses if the interrupt occurs.  When the class
is instantiated, stack should be empty.

Your help will be appreciated.