gnats-prs

Re: gnats/275: index file not generated automatically

From: Yngve Svendsen
Subject: Re: gnats/275: index file not generated automatically
Date: 16 Oct 2001 10:14:00 -0000

The following reply was made to PR gnats/275; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Yngve Svendsen <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden,address@hidden
Cc: Milan Zamazal <address@hidden>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:06:18 +0200

 Quoting Nick Bower:
 >a new installation of gnats does not generate an index file.
 >nor is is generated automatically on the fly or from mkdb.
 >
 >so gnatsweb bombs for a new gnats install with no pr's in the
 >database. i think the result returned should be a "no pr's
 >found" instead of an internat gnatsd error.
 >
 >even if i run gen-index for an empty database, an index file
 >is not generated.

 Yes, this is certainly a problem. However, i believe gen-index is right not
 to create an index file when there are no PRs. Also, simply creating an
 empty index file yields an "incorrect number of fields in index file" error
 from gnatsd.

 I am CCing the main GNATS maintainer on this, maybe he has some ideas. I
 think that a good solution would be to make gnatsd say "No PRs matched" (as
 it does for a normal query when there _are_ PRs in the database) when the
 index file exists but is empty. That way, we could simply have mkdb create
 a blank index file when run.

 I guess a workaround could be implemented in Gnatsweb, but it would be far
 more logical for gnatsd to treat an existing but empty index file as a
 valid index.

 Milan, what do you think about this?

 Yngve Svendsen
 Gnatsweb maintainer